Program Coordinator Ottawa
Hourly Wage: $17.50 per hour
1385 Woodroffe Ave
Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a coding or robotics specialist? Then we want you to join Camp STEAM as a Program Coordinator!
The Program Coordinator is enthusiastic and enjoys making sure the camp activities are running smoothly. Program Coordinators have excellent time management skills and an excellent ability to motivate people.
Why Work at Camp STEAM
Monday to Friday work schedule – weekends off!
Canada Day and Civic Holiday Off
Career pathing – get experience in the STEAM fields
Rewards and Recognition
Fun work environment and culture while working with children
Daytime work hours
A successful candidate must have an interest in a STEAM field as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, teaching skills, time management and organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and English proficiency with some experience in online gaming. Knowledge of coding and robotics such as Minecraft, Scratch and Microbits and advanced computer skills is an asset. Applicants currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, a Faculty of Education program are encouraged to apply.
Program Coordinators should be punctual, patient, friendly, reliable, creative, energetic, and work well independently as well as in a group.
- Overseeing Counsellors to ensure the Camp STEAM curriculum is properly implemented
- Leading activities with children between the ages of 7-14 years old
- Developing STEAM-related activities to help fill programming (if needed)
- Performing duties of a Counsellor in an emergency
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and creating positive interactions
- Ensuring that emergency procedures are followed by campers and staff
- Engaging parents by providing appropriate and professional feedback
- Assisting the Camp Coordinator with training staff at your location
- Ensuring a smooth pick-up and drop-off process at the start and end of each day
- Effectively communicating when parents seek assistance about camp or their children
- Purchasing extra camp supplies when approved by the Management Team
- Mentoring Counsellors-In-Training (CIT) at your location (if applicable)
- Administrative tasks include completing camp reports, following up on absent campers, etc.
- Carrying out reasonable duty requests from members of the Management Team
- Attending the mandatory training period for all Program Coordinators
Note: Candidates applying for any position with Camp STEAM must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector.
Successful Candidates Should Possess
- Graduated from or currently enrolled in a STEAM-related field or Bachelor of Education at a post-secondary institution (considered an asset, not a requirement)
- Knowledge and understanding of STEAM related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Customer service-oriented mindset
- Teamwork and collaboration skills with the ability to take initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to adapt to change
- The ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
What to Expect
Although our camp season runs in July and August, we are looking for Camp Coordinators to begin training in late June 2023. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.